Crowdfunding for Together for Yes: How a crowdfunding campaign helped change Ireland
Watch the session:
Want more changemaking inspiration?
About The Session
On 25 May 2018, Ireland voted by an overwhelming majority to overturn the constitutional ban on abortion. It was the culmination of a massive campaign that mobilised huge numbers of Irish people to give, canvass, campaign and vote for radical change. This session will look at the strategies, techniques and stories that Together For Yes – the civil society campaign for a Yes vote in the referendum – used to inspire thousands of people to donate huge amounts of money to the campaign – including a crowdfunding campaign that raised over €600,000 in a matter of days. And win a landmark referendum, on a hugely contentious issue, by a landslide.
This is an inspiring story of mobilisation and change that will interest anyone seeking progressive social change. It will be especially useful for:
- Individual giving fundraisers
- Digital fundraisers / managers
- Activists and campaigners
- Storytellers and content producers
- Understand what charities and other non-profits can learn from mass mobilisation campaigns
- The importance of values and stories in mobilising and motivating large numbers of supporters
- How fundraising and campaigning can work together and successfully reinforce each other
- The benefits and drawbacks of a fast-moving, ad-hoc, “pop-up” structure and what charities can learn from that
- A good cry, and probably some cheering and whooping.