The last 12 months has been a dramatic time of change for the Resource Alliance and many social impact organisations alike. Our flagship event – the International Fundraising Congress – should have celebrated its 40th year in 2020 and instead we delivered our first virtual summit, IFC Online. In July 2020 we also launched the Resource Alliance Global Community, now with almost 3,500 Friends and Members, providing access to our world-class content and events throughout the year. There are over 100 countries within this truly global alliance of fundraisers, representing small grassroots organisations to global INGOs.
This newly created Senior Events Manager role will take on responsibility for the delivery plans and logistics for our new online and in-person events calendar. We are looking for an experienced events professional who will lead on the management of all logistical requirements of our programme. They also play a leading role in the programme development for these events and on monthly content, working with our volunteer content teams and the Head of Events, shaping our programme to provide inspiring learning and networking opportunities for fundraisers around the world. When we are able to meet in person, they will lead onsite event management, managing a larger team of colleagues and volunteers.
This is a really exciting time for a driven events manager to join our small team at a pivotal juncture for the organisation.
Excellent delivery of the annual calendar of events (planning, logistics and production) (40%)
- Working closely with the Head of Events and the Director of Operations & Development to develop and implement the online and in-person caledar of events
- Management of the master schedule and programme documents for our calendar, including any on-site documents and briefing notes for the team
- Responsibility for setting and managing the event budgets, monitoring ongoing income nad expenditure to ensure targets are met
- Acting as the main point of contact with venues, platform providers and other key suppliers ensuring that all our requirements are met
- Delivering online webinars and session recordings, setting up events using our online platforms Ensuring effective processes are in place for risk management, health, safety and security
- Producing detailed evaluations and working with the Head of Events to ensure that plans for current and future events reflect the needs of our community and our target audiences
- Working with the Partnerships team to ensure that partner deliverables can be met in the event delivery
Content/programme development (30%)
- Support the Head of Events to prepare and circulate the agenda and documents for all Content Team meetings, ensuring that accurate and concise minute of all meetings are produced
- Manage the process of speaker proposals, invitations and responses, building strong ongoing relationships with speakers
- Working with the Content Team to curate the conference programmes – identifying new and exciting speakers and sessions that deliver to our manifesto, themes and mission and ensuring diversity and representation across all of our programmes and panels
- Uploading content to our Global Community platform
Event sales, marketing and communications (20%)
- Ensuring effective income and ticket sales/registrations reporting both internally and with key stakeholders (Board, Content Team, Regional Representatives)
- Supporting the Marketing Team with content for weekly marketing communications and social media
- Working with the Director of Operations & Development to ensure our database is up-to-date and GDPR compliant
- Overseeing the development of the conference website and other technologies, ensuring speaker biographies and session outlines are collated and uploaded in a timely and accurate fashion
- Analysing and reporting on guest data to help inform our decisions about future events and products
People management (10%)
- Effectively supervising and managing any temporary events support, agreeing clear objectives, providing support and guidance as required, taking responsibility for ensuring good team morale and overall quality of work undertaken
- Recruiting, onboarding and managing event volunteers and session leaders
- Negotiating and managing all volunteer agreements and briefing them prior to and during the events
- Events management – demonstrating significant experience of the organisation and delivery of large in-person and online events
- Budget management – comfortable with setting, managing and meeting income and expenditure targets
- Highly organised – demonstrating excellent project management skills, with the ability to prioritise and manage multiple deadlines
- Pro-active self-starter – taking responsibility for devising and implementing processes and systems
- Tech savvy – exploring the best digital tools and platforms to enable us to deliver engaging, global events online
- Confident relationship manager – working with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels, including the management of suppliers and agencies
- Innovative and entrepreneurial – ensuring that our events are cutting-edge, positioning the Resource Alliance as thought-leaders and ahead of our peers and competitors within the sector
- Committed to delivering to the highest standards – accuracy and exceptional attention to detail
- First-rate communication – ability to produce speaker briefings and sessions descriptions
- People management – management of temporary events support and volunteers, delegating and monitoring task completion, plus daily briefings, leading and managing RA team and volunteers during live events.
Resource Alliance team members will consistently demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to fulfil the mission of the Resource Alliance and uphold the organisations values
- Passion for excellence
- Creative thinker with a desire to overcome challenges with a flexible and solution-focused approach Independent, self-motivated, and goal oriented
- Continuous learning by engaging in reflection, self-assessment, and individual professional development
- Ability to thrive as a member of a collaborative team
- Self-motivation and initiative with solutions-oriented disposition
- Effective use of data to inform decisions and drive continuous improvement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office applications and a curiosity and propensity to push own adoption of new technology and approaches
We have a 40-year history and a supportive community of volunteers from around the world, whilst also operating like a start-up, able to change the way that we work and develop new content and programmes to meet the needs of our community. At the heart of our work are both our Mission and Manifesto, and we make our decisions with these and our values (below) in mind. Even before the pandemic, our team was working flexibly with many of us working remotely. When we are able to do so safely, we hope that we will be able to work together in-person at least once a week from a London base. Taking on this role you can expect a competitive salary, flexible working, pension contribution (after 3 months of service), working alongside a supportive, collaborative team.
We want to be reflective of the diversity of the communities and the people we strive to create positive change for. We are especially keen to take a step towards attracting applications from people of all different backgrounds who share our values and our vision, regardless of ethnicity, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or other protected characteristics.
Our mission and values
Our vision is a united world where community has overcome division, sustainability has overcome greed, and where there is equity of both opportunities and resource. Our mission is to change the world by weaving together a global alliance of people fighting for positive change and equipping them with the knowledge and resources they need to accelerate lasting social impact. We do this by delivering first-class events and programmes, and through our global alliance, accessible to fundraisers and those in the social impact community, wherever they are in the world. Our new Senior Events Manager will align with this mission and embody our values:
- We value boldness. We see the bravery in facing incredible odds, the courage it takes to forge ahead in imperfection, the strength in anger, and the daring it takes to do everything when you have nothing.
- We value diversity. Our community is global and our voices must be too. We believe our world and our work are richer when we embrace difference. We accept the challenge to acknowledge our privilege and rise by lifting others.
- We value collaboration. We know that we cannot change the world alone and that this alliance of fundraisers and changemakers does not exist in a vacuum. We accept that true collaboration means reaching outside our community and our sector.
- We value honesty. We believe in integrity of action, clarity of vision, and openness in governance. We will challenge, support, and guide our members to authenticity, and will always lead by example.
- We value service. The mission of the organisations we serve is our We exist to enable you to change the world around you. We will listen, we will learn, and we will develop in response to your needs.
- We are committed to an equitable recruitment process. To have an informal conversation about the role, please contact Rebecca Elcome, Director of Operations & Development, on email@example.com
- To apply for the role, please submit a CV and covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 19 April 2021 at 6PM GMT. Please do include a link to your events portfolio or LinkedIn profile if you have these.
- Based on your understanding of the role and of the organisation, we would love it if your cover letter can provide answers to these three questions:
- What are the specific skills and experiences that you have that you feel particularly relevant to this role?
- Which event do you feel most proud to have delivered and why?
- As we continue to deliver events online, what do you think are the key considerations for hosting a virtual event for a truly global and diverse audience?
- If you feel comfortable doing so, we also ask you to complete our equal opportunities form here: https://form.typeform.com/to/hyOYGrCz
- Interviews will take place w/c 26 April 2021 and interview questions will be provided in advance, in addition to a short task