Mindfulness: A path to mental health and wellbeing – Explore how mindfulness can help you cultivate wellbeing, wisdom and awareness
About this session
From the Greek philosopher Plato to the Buddha to modern psychology forefathers William James and Wilhelm Wundt, the value of contemplation as a means of fostering well-being and wisdom has been known for a long time. More recently, scientific research has demonstrated a range of benefits associated with contemplative principles such as mindfulness, meditation, compassion and non-attachment. In addition to reducing stress and improving health and wellbeing, such techniques have been shown to improve work-effectiveness, life choices, decision-making skills, job satisfaction, and quality of life more generally. Dr William Van Gordon is a world leading expert in the research and practice of contemplative approaches and his work has been described as “ground-breaking”. This session will draw on Dr Van Gordon’s latest research to offer training and practical guidance focussing on applying mindfulness and other contemplative principles in everyday life and work situations. The session will comprise a short lecture, interview-based Q&A session, and guided mindfulness exercises.
This session is aimed at:
All – everyone can benefit from mindfulness!
What you will learn
- Understand how the mind works in times of uncertainty/change
- Be familiar with the key principles of mindfulness, meditation and other contemplative processes
- Undertake guided practice of some basic mindfulness techniques
- Understand the rationale for applying contemplative techniques in work and life scenarios
- Be aware of key research findings relating to the use of meditation and contemplation for improving health, wellbeing and work effectiveness.