Giving Zakat: The what, why, and how of Islamic philanthropy fundraising
About this session
Zakat is one of the five pillars of Islam. An act of worship in the Islamic faith, it has huge potential to support humanitarian efforts across the world. This workshop will provide a detailed explanation of Islamic philanthropy and demonstrate best practices to develop an Islamic philanthropy fundraising programme step-by-step, with a focus on maximising digital tools.
Topics to be covered will include:
1. What is the Islamic economy?
2. Islamic economy & the SDGs
3. What is Islamic philanthropy (IP)?
4. Building your IP programme
5. Working with Islamic organisations and Muslim partners
6. Campaigns and communications
7. Digital fundraising
8. Case study: UNHCR’s Refugee Zakat Fund
You will gain a good understanding of Zakat, Sadaqah, and Waqf as key IP tools, discover how they can be utilised in non-faith NGO contexts, and get the tools to develop a roadmap to launching a successful Islamic philanthropy programme.
This session is CFRE-accredited. Attendance at the session, in conjunction with the speaker Q&A that follows, is worth one point.