Unlocking Diaspora Capital: Best practices for fundraising
About this session
This panel will examine the increasing importance of diasporas for financing development in homeland countries, with a particular emphasis on diaspora philanthropy in our digital world. Technology has fundamentally changed the power of diasporas, but how can we best harness and enhance this power of diasporas as communities of change
Among the questions we will address are:
- The changing ecosystem of diasporas — lost actors as new assets, and why are diasporas more important than ever to their homeland countries? What networking tools can best tap their potential? Should the focus be charity or philanthropy?
- How can diaspora capital be transformed from traditional remittances into more institutionalized giving and philanthropy? What does it take to personalize the experience so that donors will give?
- What digital tools, platforms, and infrastructure (online giving, crowdfunding, peer-to-peer,, social media, branding,and other tools) are most critical for personalizing fundraising from diasporas, and how can they be applied to increase the trust that is essential for cultivating diaspora philanthropy?
- What is the experience of the African Diaspora in addressing the above issues? What are the success stories? What are the limits or constraints? How do you make the ask?
- What is the experience of the Albanian Diaspora in addressing the above issues? What are the success stories? What are the limits or constraints? How do you make the ask?